From:
"Ballard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:12:47 -0400
Hi Nancy, it's probably tangential to your student's question, but Max
Saltzman organized a UCLA expedition (National Museum Act funded) by
botanists in 1977 "Collection and Study of Peruvian Dye Plants" A copy
of the report is at MCI--it's really like an botanical inventory. I
think that actual collection resides at UCLA. There is a reference to
Indigofera suffruticosa (Mill.) Gard..."shrub 1 m growing along roadside
Km. 192 Paucartambo into the 'ceja de la montana' Dept of Cusco 630m
elevation May be a weedy species in this area" etc etc Let me know if
you want a photocopy of all the herbarium labels pertaining to indigo.
There's a short bibliography on Peruvian botany.

Mary W. Ballard
Senior Textiles Conservator,
Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.
tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709
email [log in to unmask]