From:
"Sandra L. Troon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:51:16 -0700
Meg and all,

The carpet beetles have been professionally identified and they are very
common here in the Pacific Northwest.  The museum's licensed pest
control operator wanted to place a Gentrol device inside the case and
the curator has instead agreed to place one on the outside of the case.

I have not had any experience with this type of pesticide.  From the
literature I was able to find about it, it appears that in many
situations (and obviously this is general use, not specifically designed
for museum collections), the product is sprayed along floors. It sounds
like there is also a solid form and I believe that is what has been
attached to the outside of the display case. Apparently after contact
with the pesticide, the pests (many types, including dermestids)
reportedly live happy but unreproductive lives. While that potentially
cuts down on future generations it doesn't stop the current generation,
which can continue to feed on collections.  Since I had no information
about the effect of this pesticide in close proximity to collection
materials, and the pesticide itself will not stop the current generation
of insects from damaging the artifacts, I agreed with the curator's
decision that the pesticide should not be put inside the case. We
discussed considering freeze treatment of the case contents.

At this point the curator is wondering if anyone else is using this
pesticide or one like it?  I personally have strong reservations about
using pesticides in museums because of their potential for adverse
effects on people, the environment, and artifacts.  Thanks for your
answer Meg and a big hello to you.

Best regards,
Sandra L. Troon
Textile Conservator