From:
Joanne Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:33:34 -0500
I asked our objects conservators about this one and the consensus was
that stainless steel would be the best choice.  They suspected that the
plating might fail on the other types.

Joanne Hackett
Textile Conservation
Indianapolis Museum of Art.

A question has arisen at a sewing conference today about pins
accidentally left in garmets stored in uncontrolled conditions..

What material would you pick to do the least damage? The current
choices
appear to be stainless steel, nickle plated brass, nickle plated steel
and chrome plated steel...

Thanks

Kay