From:
"Ballard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:42:51 -0500
Dear Ms. Oh,

One of our former research fellows has been developing a method by proteomics during her PhD, which consists in analysing peptidic fragments of
keratin proteins obtained by enzymatic digestion. These fragments are
analysed by mass spectrometry and results obtained are searched in
databases containing a certain number of keratin sequences. A very
small quantity of material can be analysed that way, from 10 to 100
micrograms, depending on the conditions of the material. The method
can even in some cases identify the right species. The method has been
very successful on archaeological material and is still in
development. Please contact Dr. Caroline Solazzo at [log in to unmask] She is working in the BioArch/ Biology department in York, UK. [BioArch
Biology: (S Block), PO Box 373, York YO10 5YW, UK
+44 (0)1904 328806  (Bio)
+44 (0)1904 328505  (Bio Fax)] Sincerely,

Mary W. Ballard
Senior Textiles Conservator,
Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.
tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709
email [log in to unmask]