From:
Beth Szuhay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:43:43 -0700
Hi Ann,
Joanne Hackett and I just finished making ten male torsos for an upcoming waistcoat exhibition.  We found it best to make the form longer than the waist coat and trim to size.  We found we needed three layers of buckram for strength and rigidity and we applied first a sheet of buckram over the form, followed by a layer of small strips and followed by another layer of a sheet of buckram.  Once the buckram dries, the edges can be sharp, so we liked using the sheet of buckram as the final layer.
We just used Gingher paper scissors and brute strength to cut the buckram.
I don't remember how much buckram we used...we just bought a big roll (it's cheap).
One thing to consider...depending on the textile, you may see through the mannequin. In other words, the "show" fabric has to be on the inside of the mannequin. We used a stretchy fabric that we could slip inside the form and then stretch to fit over the neck and arm openings.
Beth Szuhay
Textile Conservation
FAMSF