From:
Jennifer Hein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:31:41 -0500
Hello All,
I have a query about these new sticky rug pads.
I have only seen rug pads deteriorate & have experienced what a mess
they can be... Has anyone seen a "Rug Hold" type product after 5 years
or 10 to see how badly they bond with the carpet backing?
Mary, has any research been done on them with light?

I am leary to see historic carpets use these products because to me
they are like a complete adhesive tape. That is why I still prefer
velcro even if a sticky side is used on the floor.

The one I saw that's popular with rug dealers is white poly batting
with self adhesive on both sides. Does anyone have any reference to
aging of any similar product?

>As to sewing, it can be done with large cross-tacks, then no adhesive
comes in contact with the rug. I have a handout if you are interested.

The second suggestion is great
"it would be a good time to rotate the carpet.  Rotating area rugs
helps even out traffic wear and keeps them
looking better longer."  Debbie Lema

The rotation idea is what I propose for all objects especially those
with direct sunlight.
--Jennifer Hein
Preservation Consultant
Historic Object Conservator of Textiles, Leather & Ethnography
PO Box 90379, Indianapolis, IN 46290
317-575-9296