From:
Mary Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:38:23 -0500
Hi everyone. I asked Dr. Charles Tumosa, recently retired senior research
chemist from SCMRE, about the blood identification since he  ran the
analytical services of the Philadelphia police dept. for 18 years before
coming to SCMRE (he wrote the article about black powder residue on silk
flags). Here's his reply about blood stain identification:

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 1/24/2006 12:32:40 PM >>>
Mary,

The traditional (i.e. forensic spot tests, color development)  do NOT work
reliably on old bloodstains.  Crystal tests may work but are difficult to do
on stains over 100 years old.  The test would have to be immunological and
that requires some skill particularly in extracting the proteins since they
become rather insoluble with age.  National Medical Services in Willow Grove
PA used to do this type of testing and there are a number of places in CA
for blood and DNA testing there (The legal system set up a cottage industry
for this with a series of rulings).

This is NOT testing that can be done with a kit bought only for this
purpose. It requires skill and knowledge to interpret the results.

Charlie