From:
Jennifer Hein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:03:27 -0400
 Teresa A. Knutson
> Rocky Mountain Textile Conservation
> 635 6th Street W  #4
> Kalispell, MT   59901
> 406-756-1388

Teresa,
This is my method.
a silk banner with painted letters on each side.

 3 feet by 5 feet.

my method for double-sided mounts for larger textiles

1) This is close to the maximum size to try to keep the center glass
away from the textile. Glass is better for small silk painted textiles
because plexi has an attraction to the paint but the weight would be
extreme.  So I would go with thin plexi,
possibly UV if blue, red or black are involved,.

2) A deep box frame would be best 1/2" to 1" spacer or more on each
side between the silk and the glass., if displayed upright. The center
bows in.  Traditionally they would construct a metal frame with
supports as a bulletin board.  Check University Products as a visual.

3) I mount the textile on a "buffer board", archival grayboard, wrapped
with 100 % cotton batting and 100% cotton fabric as covers on both
sides.  This helps regulate the humidity similar to silica gel sheets
for smaller objects.

I like to try to persuade the client to view one side then the other
for a few years and have the other side slanted against an angled prop.
But that is the clients choice.
The 5' X 7" painted regimental silk flags for the state are double
sided but the paint gives out first at about 12o years.  You might
advice your client so they go for the latter , one side at a time
mount...

4) I always tells them that canister lights should be directed at the
floor not at the object.  They create dry hot spots that age the
paint...

Jennifer Hein

--Jennifer Hein
Preservation Consultant
Historic Object Conservator of Textiles, Leather & Ethnography
PO Box 90379, Indianapolis, IN 46290
317-575-9296