From:
"M. Geiss-Mooney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:18:07 -0800
Hi Judy - First off, make sure that everyone handling the quilt is wearing
nitrile gloves - have to conserve the people too! And then throw the gloves
away - don't reuse them. In my private practice, I have had excellent
results using the MicroChamber paper available from Conservation Resources
(www.conservationresources.com) with smoke smell (due to fire), smoke smell
(due to cigar/cigarette) and mothball. For quilts, I rolled the quilt (flat
enough and strong enough for rolling) with a layer on the bottom and on the
top and left it along in normal room temperature/humidity environoment. In
as little time as two weeks, the smell was greatly reduced.
Regards,
Margaret (Meg) Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator

                      Judy Schwender
                      <sister3603@YAHOO        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      .COM>                    cc:
                      Sent by: Textile         Subject:  cigarette smoke smell
                      Conservators
                      <TEXCONS@SI-LISTS
                      ERV.SI.EDU>

                      12/06/2004 12:30
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Textile
                      Conservators

A quilt, its box, and packing materials sent to us for a contest has a
strong smell of cigarette smoke.  The quilt will be exhibited here for
several months and then the contest quilts travel for a year.  I somehow
need to remove the smell.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this may be safely dealt with?
My sincere thanks in advance.
Judy Schwender
Curator of Collections / Registrar
Museum of the American Quilter's Society
P.O. Box 1540
215 Jefferson Street
Paducah, KY 42002-1540
270-442-8856 ext 30