From:
Jeffrey Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:07:13 -0400
Dear Jonathan,

I would try to avoid creating multiple Constituent records. You might think about linking the object to the Constituent record, but creating additional roles of the types you mentioned, and use the role to modify the relationship between the object and constituent. Or you could use standard roles, but use the suffix or prefix fields in ConXrefs to precisely describe the relationship. We do this with subgroups of African ethnic groups. When we search the prefix field, we can then find all the records with "attributed to" or "school of" and the like.

Jeffrey Smith
Database Administrator
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
National Museum of African Art
Room 1110, MRC 708
Washington, DC 20013-7012
phone 202-633-4692
fax        202-357-4879

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/08/04 10:35AM >>>

Hello TMS Users!

A quick query: how do others record/structure information when borrowing
an Object through a 3rd party? As it's only possible to assign a role to
a Constituent at the Object level to describe this ('agent'?) we've been
creating additional Constituent records for individuals where they
perform this role, adding 'PC C/O' (Private Collector Care Of) to the
'display name'. This would lead, for example, to the creation of a
constituent record for 'Jasper Johns' and one for 'Jasper Johns PC C/O'
with the latter used where Jasper Johns is the 3rd party through whom an
Object is lent anonymoulsy. Any thoughts?!

Thanks
Jon

Tate
Millbank