From:
"Wilker, Jenny" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:09:49 -0500
Good question.

The objects that we have bar coded for this move are all furniture or
paintings.  During the pre-move inventory phase, the registrar prepared
special "move" tags for all objects.  These were big and orange, and on them
she adhered Avery labels with basic object information, plus a colored dot
indicating a condition status. She attached these tags to the paintings and
furniture with string. Because the bar code functionality was not ready, no
bar codes were added at that time.

During the move, the registrars and handlers attach the bar codes (also
printed on Avery labels) to the tags; they also adhere a small label that
tells the handlers where to put the object in the new storage facility. The
orange tags now have several labels on them: the basic object info, a color
coded dot as to condition status, a new location label, and a bar code.  It
is my hope that after the move we can make new archival tags with more
complete object info, plus the bar code, to attach to all the objects in
storage in the same way.  And get rid of the cluttered orange tags, which
were never considered permanent tags in the first place.

For an inhouse move of decorative arts objects (mostly ceramics and
enamels), we will put the bar codes on object cards that will follow the
objects to their new storage rooms.  We have not done this yet, but it's
going to happen very soon.

For a future move of works on paper, we are planning only to bar code the
solander boxes; you can use that bar code to move the entire contents of the
box.  We have not worked out the specific details, but these bar codes will
probably be printed on Avery labels adhered to the outside of the box.
Actual position on boxes to be determined. We have no plans to bar code the
individual objects.

Jenny Wilker