From:
"Sparacino, Eliza" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 12:49:34 -0400
Hello,

We are trying to develop a system of clearly identifying duplicate object
numbers in TMS. Previously many of the curatorial departments maintained
their own numbering lists for study collection works, since they were not
full collection works.  We are now entering these into TMS and discovering
duplicate numbers.  Most of these duplicates share a "root" number, but due
to an addition of parts or components in the number, TMS does not recognize
them as duplicates: SC194.2002, SC194.2002.1-3.

During our conversion, Gallery gave duplicate numbers a "Dupl" suffix to
distinguish them, but we are looking for another way to denote these records
in our system.  If you have any suggestions or examples of how you've
resolved this problem in your own collection, I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Eliza Sparacino
Manager, Collection and Exhibition Technologies
(212) 708.9599

MoMAQNS
The Museum of Modern Art, Queens
http://www.moma.org