From:
Amy Noel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:24:48 -0800
Hi Barbara, et al,

This seems kind of complicated to me, considering you can add fields from Objects to your Media Query Assistant.  We've added Object Number (objects)  and Department (objects).  I also don't like the idea of all these different departments having to keep a list of unique consecutive numbers.  There is a possiblility if you use the R# system that users can create duplicate records if they hit the enter key at the exact same time.  I wonder if this rendition number in TMS can be trained like entering Ojbect numbers can, if so or not maybe it would be better to start the rendition number with the department code and then let TMS assign the next consecutive number in that series, ex.  TJM.1, TJM.2, etc...   Then you can search by the object number and department after you link the media to object(s).  Even so, I'm not too in favor of the rendition numbers carrying much meaning.  What happens if an object is transfered from one department to another, would you have to change the media rendition numbers?

just a few rambling thoughts,
Amy

Amy Noel
The J. Paul Getty Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/17/04 09:25AM >>>
Hi Everyone;

I have devised a 3 part numbering system for recording and tracking renditions into TMS. If any of you have the time to review the sample list below for our object number 1982-53a,b, I would appreciate your comments before I attempt to implement this new numbering system.

To ensure that all departments uniformly enter images into TMS A style guide will be created and the following three numbering components should be entered for each image: first  the "OBJECT NUMBER", then "DEPARTMENT CODE" (3 letters plus a dot), and the " UNIQUE SUFFIX" (following the dot, indicates multiple renditions of a particular object). Each department should maintain its list of unique consecutive numbers.

To query media renditions for an object, simply enter the object number with a *. The search result will list renditions by department along with their unique number.

As an example, 15 rendition numbers for object number 1982-53a,b:

                               OBJECT   DEPT.  UNIQUE
         NUMBER CODE  SUFFIX
Visual Resources        1982-53a,b TJM.1
        1982-53a,b TJM.2
        1982-53a,b TJM.3

Fine Arts       1982-53a,b JMF.1
        1982-53a,b JMF.2
        1982-53a,b JMF.3

Education       1982-53a,b JME.1
        1982-53a,b JME.2
        1982-53a,b JME.3

Registrar's Inventory   1982-53a,b JMI.1
        1982-53a,b JMI.2
        1982-53a,b JMI.3

Judaica 1982-53a,b JMJ.1
        1982-53a,b JMJ.2
        1982-53a,b JMJ.3

Finally, do you recommend that all images be saved into the SCREEN folder or should each department save their images in department folders on the I:drive?

I am anxiously awaiting your response,

Barbara

Barbara Treitel
Manager Visual Resources/Rights and Reproduction
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue . New York, NY 10128
212.423.325o  .  [log in to unmask]