From:
Amy Noel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:04:16 -0700
Hi all,

At the Getty we aim towards entering all exhibition history prior to our ownership or not, into the exhibition module.  For the purpose of getting some curatorial data stored in Word files into to TMS easily by curatorial staff, we may agree to "stage" exhibition history or other info in the free text fields simiply to get it into TMS.  And it's easier to send a data entry person into work on fielding a bunch of exhibitions  or a bunch of citations, than it is for curators to field everything for each record as they move through projects to get their research into the system.  Some year we'll be all caught up and this will be unnecessary.

In working out between curatorial departments, agreements for fielding exhibition, provenance and bibliographic ciatations in a common way across our collections, we also found a need to create historical loan records to and made the following suggestions regarding historica loans and use of the exhibitons modules to Karen (hi Karen!) at Gallery Systems.

"We 've found a need to create historical loan records to account for long periods of time where an object before it came to our collection may have been on loan and display and not part of an exhibition.  It would be great if there were another option in addition to incoming and outgoing loan --  historical loan, and maybe, also interprogram loan or something like that?  As we begin to use TMS for the special collections at the Getty Research Institute, and other Getty Trust collections.

For  Exhibitions, it would be really really really great to get rid of the link to security updating tied to department or make it repeatable.  More and more we have exhibitions with objects from various departments and the curators have a hard time getting in to update object specific info.  I see this becoming more of an issue as GRI expands it use of exhibitions in TMS."

Cheers,
Amy

Amy Noel
CIS Application Manager
The J. Paul Getty Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/05/03 07:32AM >>>
At the National Museum of African Art, we use the text field "Exhibition
History" to record any exhibitions an object might have been in prior to its
coming into the collection. Thereafter, we link the object to shows in the
Exhibitions Module, with either an exhibition attribute type of "Exhibition
Origin" - either "in house" or "external." It's a good way to keep track.

Jeffrey Smith
Database Administrator
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012