From:
"Danna, Cheryl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:34:00 -0700
Rob,

Because our TMS Production Database resides on a City Network behind the
firewall only those individuals granted VPN access through the City firewall
(mostly IT employees)can access TMS production database.  We use VPN with
remote desktop, with a high speed cable connection.  With this setup one can
sign in to their City workstation and use any application that is on that
workstation.

As a cavaet to this setup, the City normally will not allow even IT
employees to connect in unless they are taking a City laptop home.  The
reason for this is two fold.  It protects the City network from viruses
because the laptops are regularly maintained with virus protection and it
also limits the City's liability should anything infect an employee's
private home computer.

All this said each organization has it's own comfort level with allowing
access to production database from the outside.  So I'm sure your network
administrator can provide you with information on who and how would VPN and
Remote desktop could work for you.

I hope this helps.