From:
"Gillian Essam (" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:53:49 +0100
Jon,

When objects change inventory number and status in this way (moving from
exhibition loan to long loan to aquisition) we rely on audit trail,
alternate numbers, acquisition related constituents and the loan record to
'deduce' the history of the work. We don't retain historic credit lines.

Because TMS exports collection and long loan data to the internal staff
intranet, the most persistent problem we face is when the public
announcement of the acquistion of a work that is already on long loan to the
Gallery is delayed until some months after it has been accessioned. We are
obliged to change the number etc of the work on TMS as soon as acquisition
is complete in order to satisfy our auditors but we must also continue to
export details of the work to the intranet because it is on display in the
Gallery as a long loan. So we display a prominent warning on the intranet
that the fact of acquisition must remain confidential until the press
announcement etc. However, we will soon be exporting to public facing
systems, and will have to find a different way to resolve the problem.

In Exibition module we record loan/venue status using strict syntax in
Remarks field on the Object tab. Then we run several very brief progress
reports which quickly summarise the whole exhibition, extracting loan/venue
status from Remarks and tucking 'rejected' loan candidates out of sight at
the end of the report. (This practice dates from TMS V8.11 but we plan to
start using status field as soon as we find time to rewrite the many reports
based on Remarks field.) Rejected or candidate loans can also be identified
because they are numbered with a NONE prefix until all loans are finalised,
when those that are definite are changed to X prefixed numbers (usually in a
sequential block of numbers that is indentified with that exhibition).
However users also record another number for each work linked to an
exhibition (prefixed W and stored in the Case No field) that is used solely
for continuity in the progress reports.

I guess there is no perfect way of doing these things!

Gillian Essam
Collection Information Manager
The National Gallery
Trafalgar Square