From:
Stephanie Leverock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:56:49 -0400
Dear Julie,
For something like a Tea Service set, here at the BMA what we do is create
one record for the set, and then add components to that record for each
piece.  This way we can record locations for each piece, especially if
only some pieces were to be displayed or go out on loan.  For us it's
important to handle it this way so we can have correct component counts
for collections management and at the same time the curator might consider
this set one object and is able to record it as so on the Other Card in
the Object count field.   The only time I would create individual records
for the pieces is if we were deaccessioning only one or two of the
components, and I want to be able to record information in the deaccession
record.
Hope this helps.  -Stephanie

> Good morning.
> I have now started using one record as a group record for items such as
> a tea service, and linking the individual records to the core record.
> If others are doing this as well, how do you handle location.  For
> example, a tea service just went on display but half the pieces were
> kept in storage. For the core 'group' record, what location do you use.
> The display location, the storage location, or have you come up with a
> generic name location. Since I'm using the group record more for
> information purposes, are any of you using a location such as 'No
> location'.
>
> Thanks
> Julie Thies
> Manager of Collections Information
> The Speed Art Museum, Louisville, KY

Stephanie Leverock
Records Manager/Collections Review Coordinator
Brooklyn Museum of Art
200 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11238
Tel: 718-501-6483/Fax: 718-501-6135