From:
Jennifer Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2021 18:56:15 +0000
External Email - Exercise Caution
Hello Ana,

Another way of dealing with this that may work for you is to make the Deaccessioned and Deleted departments only available to staff that need to know this information. You’d just remove permissions for say, interns, volunteers, other staff that don’t deal with deaccessioned or deleted objects. We do this for certain culturally sensitive objects—that way only certain designated staff can see those records and they don’t come up at all in general searches. The downfalls to this are that those records essentially become “hidden”, since no one else ever comes across them. Also, missing numbers in accession number ranges can cause some of their own confusion (people can see that a number “should” be in the list, but isn’t, and they may not understand why).

We actually have a similar issue to yours with our Deaccessioned records. We don’t keep them in their own department, they’re just out in the “general population,” as I like to call it ☺. They’re clearly flagged as deaccessioned, but it’s easy to miss in lists generated from queries, and sometimes people go looking for items that aren’t here anymore. I don’t want to make them disappear into a hidden department though, because sometimes we’re able to tell researchers, “Hey, we used to have this thing that you’re interested in, but now it’s located at X institution, go talk to their registrar.” So, if you find a good solution to this problem, shoot me an email about it!

Best,
Jennifer