From:
"Wilker, Jenny" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 11:06:13 -0400
Hello TMSers-

Thanks for the excellent deaccessioning discussion.  Very helpful and indeed
inspiring.

Now for the Exhibitions module.  So far we have been using Exhibitions (and
Loans) to:
1. manage and track outgoing loans to other institutions' exhibitions
2. archive our own current and past exhibitions, with links to objects in
exhibition, label copy (also used to update object information as
appropriate), gallery views, website.

We have not been using the module to:
1. plan and manage upcoming exhibitions (and incoming loans for
exhibitions), because Access is the preference of our registrars and
curators for that purpose (flexibility, ad-hoc reporting).  It's a bit
problematic, because we eventually have to re-enter the objects into TMS
after the show has opened. (Note to GS: nice if one could import!)

New project:
In order for the entire staff to learn about upcoming exhibitions, however,
we have just launched a new project.  We are creating records for future
exhibitions to which we link prototype records for objects with images that
have been cleared for publicity, as well as several forms of text files
(press releases, website, draft Word or PDF files from upcoming catalogues).
Each exhibition record serves as a place for staff members to go to find
publicity and rights information, and to read about the show while preparing
educational materials.  We hope that this project will represent a
breakthrough of sorts in sharing! And in establishing one place with
up-to-date and accurate information.  Ultimately the complete exhibition
will be archived on the same record.

Is anybody else doing this?  Are there any pitfalls we are not noticing?
(primarily about making all this material available to staff)

Looking forward to your responses,

Jenny Wilker

Jenny Wilker, Ph.D.
Manager, Collection Information