From:
Amy Noel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:52:21 -0700
Hello Fellow TMS Users,

We migrated our data to TMS in November of 1999.  Since then we've also updated our old systems documentation for data entry with the TMS screens and a blow by blow use of fields.  The documentation evolves as TMS changes, we install upgrades, and identify new areas of information to include in TMS. Our documentation is supplemented by guideline or syntax rules for things like entering dimensions, use of pre-fixes in constituent records, etc...

In general the Registrar's Office will enter all "tombstone" or basic item description, copyright, accession, deaccession, values, locations as well as collections management information such as pending exhibitions, loans (outgoing and incoming) and shipping information.  Curatorial staff add everything else, including exhibition history, provenance, bibliography, curatorial notes.  The Photographic Services department uses the media module to track their inventory and manage the circulation of photographic materials.

As we develop new areas of data entry, i.e. fielding provenance as ex-collection related constituents, we bring representatives from various curatorial departments together with our standards administrator to come to consensus on the use of fields across collections.  This is not always an easy process.  But once folks realize the tremendous gain by standardizing across collections, there is enthusiasm and a willingness to change.  I do a lot of on going training and help departments figure out ways to tackle large retrospective data entry projects often with the help of part-time employees, volunteer grad students or interns.

I'm happy to share our current documentation with anyone in charge of TMS at their institution to make their own.  These are all Word documents, and like I said before always evolving.  For example we upgraded to version 9.15 build 1523 last spring and still have to update our dimensions syntax rules to accommodate the very cool new ability to field multiple occurrences of dimensions for a single object.

Amy Noel
Collections Information System Application Manager
The J. Paul Getty Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/16/02 06:29AM >>>
When we began the TMS installation, we formed a TMS project group made up
of the Registrar office staff, the curatorial staff and a few other staff
with major TMS involvement.

Before data entry began, this group met weekly for a long time to discuss
exactly what information would be put into a field and how the field would
be formatted.

We did this for the object module and most of the constituent module.

Whenever a drop-down menu can be used, the project group negotiated what
choices would be in the menu and when they would be used. This is
especially critical for the classification selections and the roles selections.

The project group also decided to follow the Getty ULAN naming convention
for all constituents.

Finally, we drew up general guidelines for formatting data in the fields
and trained the keypunchers to follow the guidelines.

Two important changes we made in TMS was to take away object and
constituent record deletion capability for all users except the System
Administrator. This eliminates the inevitable tragedy of a user deleting
important records that cannot be replaced.

A full-time staff technician/ system administrator is essential for TMS.

I hope this is helpful,  David Parsell,  Yale Art Gallery