From:
"Colet, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:19:41 -0500
At the Met, we have been reviewing the issue of data standards for some time
now.  There are 17 different curatorial departments, each with separate TMS
databases. Because the disciplines are so varied, there are many differences
across curatorial departments in terms of how they define Culture, Period,
Nationality, etc. Our latest approach is two fold: (1) assist departments
with creating consistent data entry practices in their individual databases
and (2) review museum-wide standards from a more global approach (e.g.
setting up "super-hierarchies" and thesaurus structures that will create
ease of access for cross-collection searching).  We are still in the
strategizing stages of #2 and would be interested to find out if other
museums have taken this route. If so, I would be interested to hear about
their experiences.

Linda Colet
Manager for Information Standards
The Metropolitan Museum of Art