From:
Brenda Podemski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:28:41 -0800
Hello Glenn,

I also tend to perform updates like this from the SQL prompt, as Luc has kindly illustrated, but would add the following caveat:

Making updates to certain fields (Credit Line, Culture, Description, Medium, Nationality, Object Name, Period, Title, and the Long Text fields in Object Context) outside the application like this are not automatically searchable in TMS without running the Maintain Search Terms procedure (at least this is true in the Oracle version of TMS, which we are using here at the Getty--YMMV).

Cheers,

Brenda

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Brenda Podemski
Business Applications Administrator
Collections Information
The J. Paul Getty Museum
www.getty.edu

v.  310-440-7087  |  f.  310-440-7752  |  e.  [log in to unmask]

>>> Luc Bissonnette <[log in to unmask]> 12/4/2006 11:25 AM >>>
Bonjour Glenn,

This is my first posting to this list.

The following will erase the credit line existing in those records and replace it with you new Credit line.

When I have to do things like this, I do the work at the SQL level.
ATTENTION : BEWARE : You can damage and loose data if you are not familiar with SQL. Proceed with EXTREME
care...

A) Create an object package with a name and put your 800 objects in it.

B) at an sql prompt, find the ObjectPackageID of your object package with the following:
select * from dbo.ObjectPackages where Name like 'name that you gave before'

The first column is the ObjectPackageID. Note that number.

Then, do the following:

update objects
set CreditLine = 'YOUR CREDIT LINE TEXT'
where objectid in
 (select objectid from dbo.ObjPkgList where ObjectPackageID = "The objectpackageid that you find in the preceding request")

/* Replace "The objectpackageid that you find in the preceding request" with the number without " "   */

Hope this help

Luc Bissonnette
Bibliothécaire des systèmes/Systems Librarians
Gestionnaire des systèmes des collections
Centre Canadien d'Architecture/Canadian Center for Architecture
Montréal, Québec
H3H 2S6
Téléphone: 514-939-7001 #2616
Télécopieur: 514-939-7020