From:
Amanda Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2014 14:10:54 -0400
Dear Listserv,

I apologize for the cross-posting!

I am curious how others catalog those works that have additional components in their TMS database. For example, if you have a cup and saucer set, would you create two separate object records for them, or would you create one object record and designate the cup an the saucer as component parts?

I am finding that in the past multiple object records have been created for works that have multiple components, such that a cup and it's saucer are 1993.003.001a and 1993.003.001b as two separate object records. One of my concerns is if this is an efficient means of cataloging? For example, if I were to query all objects, I would not receive an accurate read because there would be multiple object records for technically "one single" object.

How have others rectified these circumstances? Do you find the component aspect of an object record efficient for accurately cataloging a "cup and saucer"? If so, how does your object record look - i.e. 1993.003.001a-b?

Thank you all so much for your input!

Amanda Robinson