From:
Jeffrey Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:43:06 -0500
You could always use the Constituent "Alternate Names" field, which is a
text field. NMAfA use this for alternate spellings of ethnic groups.
Provided multiple spellings are entered correctly, it is searchable.

Jeffrey Smith
Database Administrator
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
National Museum of African Art
Room 1110, MRC 708
Washington, DC 20013-7012
phone 202-633-4692
fax        202-357-4879

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/22/04 12:14PM >>>
Hi All,

Another point about variant names for constituents that Suzanne Quigley's
reply brings to mind.  It would be really, really useful if TMS had an
option to search on either the preferred form of the constituent name or
on
all the variants as well.  Perhaps it could work the way objects allows
you
to search on all objects or all accessioned objects.

Mary Ellen Guerra
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Washington, DC 20560-0970
Tel: 202-275-1553
Fax: 202-275-1707

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/16/04 05:10PM >>>
We have just been through conversion and we're beginning to use TMS, so I
have been using the TMS Support Site for reference. In the Shared
Resources,
the Getty has provided documentation for how they enter data. They have an
excellent quick guide to alphabetizing the artist names with prefixes. It
is
in the Getty's manual under "Adding Constituent Records"--page 8. It is
useful to see how they have organized it.

Suzanne Stephens
Database Administrator
Birmingham Museum of Art