From:
André Straatman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:21:05 +0100
We use 'KM xxx.xxx' numbering, every new number=lastnumber+1
I think it is not a good idea to change this number, it should be a general
purpose reference (also for people outside our museum). It is a identifier
used for everything: shipping, insurance, (loan)contracts etc.
It should either exist or not-exist.

OBJECTS
Instead ObjectStatus and AccessionMethod supply the information. Because
these field refer to an Id, is also easier when writing reports (We always
have to write a Dutch and English report to serve the rest of the world).

The Role (Constituent-Acquisition-Related) also indicates the status of the
object (for example:Lender).

StatusFlags are also used to indicate the present situation in time
processes.

LOANS
All Objects not owned by the museum (but in the care of the museum) are also
registered in the Loans Module. Here we also use Statuses, for example
indicating Past, Present and Future processes.

Probably many people will say we repeat the information in TMS in different
ways, yes, but this can be quite useful for not everybody has rights/access
to (view) certain fields. Also it helps to search for information in the
system by different people with different tasks and professions.

André Straatman
Registrar
Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo, The Netherlands
tel. +31-(0318)-596 168, fax +31-(0318)-592 209