From:
Linda Pulliam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:26:44 -0400
Dear fellow list-servers,

We are very much looking forward to the time when TMS supports Unicode and we can enter data using Greek, Chinese, Japanese and other character sets.

In the meantime, as an experiment, we scanned the Greek characters written on the catalogue cards for 124 of our Greek coins. We made adjustments in PhotoShop and then attached the scans as media to the object record. It took an average of 7 minutes per card to scan, make PhotoShop adjustments, and complete the Excel spreadsheet of metadata that is used to batch upload the media to TMS. The curatorial department was pleased with the results and would like us to work on their 3,000 remaining coins. An added benefit of scanning is that it allowed for the capture of the positioning of the various characters (super, sub, etc.). I'm not certain that Greek character sets would accommodate this.

See attachment below to view the results.

Regards,

Linda Pulliam
Manager of Collections Information