From:
Linda Pulliam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:06:14 -0500
We create a Virtual Object record to send to our website to represent a work (such as a tea set) that has many individual parts, each with their own object record. We do not want to send all the individual records, particularly if there is only a group image for the set.

Also, we strive to post on our website, as soon after accessioning as possible, text and images of our new acquisitions. To accommodate this schedule, we occasionally create a Virtual Object to represent large groups of similar objects that were acquired at the same time from the same donor, but are too numerous to catalogue and photograph quickly enough for early posting. An example of this is a Virtual Object record with an image that represents a group of 20,000 Japanese Postcards. Once photographed and catalogued, the postcard records will go to the web and the Virtual Object record will be removed.

Linda Pulliam
Manager of Collections Information
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston