From:
Stephanie Leverock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:52:12 -0500
Hi Vicki,
Here at the BMA I break the TMS record up so what we want to deaccession
could have it's own object record.  This was it's not confusing,
especially with the Accessioning fields, there is only one place to record
object status for the record and also to create a Deaccession Record, this
can't be done for components.  And this is important when I need to
provide database stats. For example, I have a table setting, 2 plates, tea
cup, saucer, numbered as 65.100.10a-d, in TMS as one record.  But if we
are to deaccession only the tea cup and saucer, I would break up
components into either two (65.100a-b for plates and 65.100c-d for cup and
saucer to be deaccessioned) or four individual object records for each
component.
Hope this helps, Stephanie

> How do you deaccession components?
>
> I mean, for instance say you had a tea set--a beautiful tea set, but one
with a lot of stuff that you already had. Say you had one accession
number assigned to the tea set as a whole with all the pieces as
components. Say you sold off some of the plates, a spoon or two, and
maybe even a cup. Say none of these components were in numerical order
within the record.

> How would you be isolate only the deaccessioned items, assign each of
them some sort of return receipt number, and print out a return receipt
report--all the while still retaining the integrity of the current
record?

> I eagerly await your replies because, quite frankly, it's stumped the
lot of us.

> Much obliged.
>

> Vicki Cain
> Sr. Administrative Assistant
> Registrar's Office
> Yale University Art Gallery
> Phone: 203/432-7876
> Fax:     203/432-7159

Stephanie Leverock
Records Manager/Collections Review Coordinator
Brooklyn Museum of Art
200 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11238
Tel: 718-501-6483/Fax: 718-501-6135