From:
Amy Noel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:49:28 -0800
Hi all,

For PHoto Services Department lableing needs the what Jon describes met our needs just fine, and easier, we can make as many copies as we need.  But when we started created media records for our Slide Library, that was a different story.   There's so much more information required in a small space and is different depending on the type of object.

I worked on a slide label report also for about a year, but as we moved through different collections, the report got more and more complicated and I was trying real hard not to have many versions of the report. We blessed to get some help from our ITS department at this point.  A new view had to be created.  The report is slow, but it works and prints neatly on archival slide labels.  Depending on department or classification, info prints in different spots. We set up some term attributes to describe wether the slide is horizontal or verticle and the getty logo prints  to the left or right depending on which. We haven't yet tackled the collection of architecture slides, which I think will be another interesting challenge. The Slide Librarian did make some comprises and what the labels from TMS are simpler and less flexible than what they used to do, but it works because the underlying data is much cleaner.

Attached is a sample saved in pdf format.  There are two labels for each slide media record. Front and back are printed in sequence starting from top left to right across.  I'm happy to share the report through the Gallery Systems web site, as a starting point, but wouldn't be able to support your ongoing use of it.

Best wishes,
Amy Noel
The J. Paul Getty Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/04/03 08:14AM >>>
Hello
Might it be possible to export from Crystal into Excel (write a view which pulls together/formats the data and a columnar format report) and then use the worksheet as a datasource to merge with a Word slide-label template?
Jon Thristan
Tate
London