At the National Portrait Gallery, we treat them as individuals and put the
name in Last Name, for search purposes. We have hundreds of Native American
sitters whose entire names are in Last Name.

Susan Foster Garton
Data Administrator
Center for Electronic Research and Outreach Services
National Portrait Gallery
Tel:  (202) 275-1842
Fax:  (202) 275-1907

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/16/03 01:38PM >>>

Hi.

We are wondering how other institutions handle constituents with only one
name.  IE "Nadar"  "Weegee" "Giotto".  Are they individuals or institutions?
 If individuals, then which field gets the name... first name, last name or
both (considering the search implications)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Laurie Soures
Manager of Web Development and Information Systems
George Eastman House
Rochester, NY