From: Suzanne Quigley ( [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 4:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Constituent Module: von, van, de, and other particles

Hi Linda,

Use ULAN if possible to determine the preferred spelling of the last name.  Of course there will always be the oddballs - I will never forget that at a museum where I worked once upon a time, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was in the database as "van der Rohe", when, in fact, the whole last name is "Mies van der Rohe".  It doesn't follow logic, thus look to an authority or establish it for yourselves for names not found in an authority listing.

Cheers on a cold New York afternoon!

Suzanne