Hi Linda,

We at the Smithsonian American Art Museum use Anglo American Cataloguing Rules for this purpose.  See attached excerpt from our data entry manual.  It is admittedly unedited and annotated but it may help you.

Mary Ellen Guerra
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Washington, DC 20560-0970
Tel: 202-275-1553
Fax: 202-275-1707

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/16/04 04:50PM >>>
If you have a moment, would you please let me know where your organization enters this information? Do you use the last name field or the middle name field?

Staff here are of two minds about where it belongs depending on the life dates of the artists and their nationalities. Inconsistencies are leading to searching problems and the creation of duplicate constituent records.

Linda Pulliam
Manager of Collections Information
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston