From: Scott Nacke [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 29 July 2004 17:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: database use policy

Gillian and Stephanie,

Thanks for your responses. Stephanie, I didn't receive your attachment. It seems we are investigating similar developments in the use of TMS. We too use a guide for data entry formats, which was created about 4 years ago, and is getting kind of outdated. We are also developing strategies for broadening our collection documentation via TMS. We run an in-house version of eMuseum on our intranet site for staff in education, marketing, editorial, graphics, development, etc. to have access to collection images and information. Unfortunately, it is not easy to navigate without knowing exactly what you are looking for. In addition, many of our records in TMS are not complete and/or inconsistent in terms of data entered, which is a source of frustration. So, we are looking at upgrading eMuseum to the current version, cleaning up our TMS records, and formalizing our use of TMS as a centralized source for information output - both within the museum, through the web site, and potentially other media sources. So far, it has been more of a repository of collection information. As part of this effort I am interested in putting together a document that provides some structure to how TMS is used, accessed, by whom, and for which collections data activities.

Thanks for your input.

Scott Nacke
Assistant Registrar/Database Administrator
Seattle Art Museum
100 University Street
PO Box 22000
Seattle, Washington 98122-9700