We are at the beginning stages of a large photography project that will involve approximately 13,000 object records.  We would like to tag each object in this group as being a high priority, middle priority, or low priority for photography.  I know that there are several ways to do this – object packages, commandeering an unused field in the objects module, status flags, or (my personal favorite) creating an exhibition record for this project where several people can add comments, notes, etc., in the case number, catalogue number, section fields.

One issue with this is the large number of objects, we have so many records that adding flags or noting things in an exhibition record seems a bit daunting.  Also, there are groups within this project that do not need a one-on-one look.  For example, everything by a certain artist would need this flag, everything above a certain size would need this flag, everything from a certain exhibition would need this flag, etc.  Is there a way to grab certain objects together and flag them all at once?  Is there an excel spreadsheet/export-import trick that someone has done?  Are there options that I’m not thinking of that would make this project easier?

Any advice or suggestion would be much appreciated –

Ella

Ella Rothgangel

Collections Database Administrator

Saint Louis Art Museum