Message
There was a very informative article sent (if memory serves) to members of the Catalogue Raisonné Scholars Association.  I'll see if I can dredge it up and send it to the TMS listserv.    The conclusion was that a single scan of an artwork does not do any measurable harm.   It was supported by a great deal of technical data.  Stand by.
-----Original Message-----
From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rob Morgan
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Scanning Artwork

Hello TMSers,

Does any institution out there directly scan artwork?  For example, we have a large collection of prints, photographs, and works on paper.  It is time consuming to photograph each one of these works.  However, (technically) we could scan these works.  Obviously, there are conservation concerns, that's why I was curious if anybody out there directly scans works on paper.

Thanks,
Rob Morgan
Collections Database Administrator
The Baltimore Museum of Art