From: Carole Campbell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 November 2005 17:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Updating Locations

Dear Allison,

Two Registrars at the Getty are responsible for moving objects in TMS.  We have one at each site.  Curatorial and Conservation staff schedule the moves and then print the movement slips from TMS.  The movement slips are sent to the Registrar who signs off on the move.  After the move, the slips are returned to the Registrar's office and the Registrar goes into TMS and completes the scheduled move.  The last step is to print out our daily relocation report which details what objects moved as well as what moves were scheduled that day.

Thanks.

Carole.

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/02/05 1:01 PM >>>
Dear Allison,
At the Brooklyn Museum we have one Collections Management department that works closely with the Registrars.  They are responsible for most object movement and either enter the locations themselves, but mostly submit them to me for our data entry staff to enter.  Conservators and curatorial staff also submit location movements to me.  Only our Collections staff and registrars can enter changes.  This works very well for us because aside from needing to be familiar with location coding, data entry staff can easily identify transcription errors, which often occur.
--
Stephanie Leverock
Records Manager and Collections Review Coordinator

Smith, Allison wrote:

Dear TMS users -

I have a question about locations security in TMS.
We are trying to determine who should have access to updating object locations in the database. We've already determined who should be able to view locations, but not who should enter them.

What is the general consensus about who should have rights to do this, and why?
I am trying to get some idea about how other institutions, large and small, deal with this issue.  Any and all responses are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rubens: A Master in the Making

26 October 2005 - 15 January 2006

Book Now http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/exhibitions/rubens/default.htm
Open daily 10am - 6pm, Wednesdays until 9pm with live music & bar

Sign up for the latest news, offers and exclusive competitions from the National Gallery by clicking on this link
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/what/news/subscribe.htm