We have recently received a large collection of original illustrations along with the books that incorporated the illustrations.  Since we previously had a very small number of illustrations, we do not have any conventions for cataloguing these works.  If anybody has any experience with this and insight on the following specific questions, I would appreciate hearing from you.

  1. If an illustration is for the dust cover, should the title be the title of the book or should it be untitled (unless a title is listed in the appraisal)?
  2. Same question for illustrations for the inside pages of the book
  3. I can enter the publication date of the book and note that, but should I put that date as a circa date into the “date of object” field?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Amy McKune

Director of Museum Collections

Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art

500 W. Washington St.

Indianapolis, IN 46204-2707

(317) 275-1358

(317) 275-1458 (Fax)