Hello all you TMSers,

Here at the Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA) we're considering adding an additional department of Contemporary Art.  How many museums out there have contemporary art departments?  I'm looking for answers from museums with comparable collections, i.e., large, eclectic, municipal collections like Houston, St. Louis, etc.  Up to this point, the BMA has been a fairly traditional museum with departments based on medium, i.e., Painting & Sculpture; Prints, Drawings, and Photographs; etc.  However, we now have a contemporary art curator who is collecting objects that could fall under various collection areas and/or departments.

Thus, my question is, do you have a contemporary art department in TMS?  And, what kind of objects are in your contemporary art department?  How do you define your contemporary art department?

Thanks everyone,
Rob Morgan
Collections Database Administrator
The Baltimore Museum of Art