Organizing Digital Images

Hello Fellow TMSers,

Our rights and reproduction department here at The Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA) is making the move from a film library to a digital library.  I was curious if anybody uses TMS as their digital management system for their digital images?  Or, do you store certain images in TMS (i.e., a thumbnail and a large jpeg image for the web) and other, larger images (i.e., TIFF files) in another database/digital management system.  I'm trying to figure out if TMS is a viable option to store large TIFF files, in addition to JPEG images for the web.

I'd hate to manage another database/digital management system to organize these large TIFF files.  I can imagine I'd end up exporting large amounts of TMS object data to this other database, which seems silly.  I'm just not sure if TMS is set-up to handle thousands of large TIFF files - I guess it may depend on the size of the server for the images.

If you do have a separate digital management system, that is not TMS, what do you use?

Thanks for answering my questions.

- Rob

Rob Morgan
Collections Database Administrator