Greetings,

I've enjoyed learning how other museums deal with digital assets issues.

Here at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum, the naming of our
digital image files is based on the object's ID number, followed by a
letter for each of the unique views. (ie: Year.Accession or Loan
Number.Item level: 1978.6258.1a.jpg; 1978.6258.1b.jpg; 1978.6258.1c.jpg)
I've found that it's easier to find an image of an object in the media
(screen) drive if it's named the same as the object. Except in rare
cases, our object numbers don't change, so this system works quite well
for us.

We put a note in the media record, Description field to indicate if it
is a scanned or photographed image, if it was digitally enhanced (such
as color corrected using PhotoShop), the date it was imaged and who
imaged it. We use the Media View field in the media record to indicate
front, back, proper left or right, and so on. In the Public Caption we
indicate the object's title & name.

In terms of image resolution, we scan full pages/photographs (8x10) at
300 dpi. However, we have many small objects (postage stamps) that
require a higher resolution when scanning. For postcard size images we
scan at 600-800 dpi; for single postage stamps we use 800-1200 dpi. We
scan 24-bit color (3 channels, color space sRGB IEC61966-2.1) at a scale
of 100%.

For digital camera image files, we save at 300 dpi in tiff format, at a
max dimension of 10" (3,000 pixels) or as large as possible depending on
the resolution of the original file.

Many of our objects are featured on our online website www.arago.si.edu
<http://www.arago.si.edu/> , which employs a 'zoomify' feature that
enlarges the object to several times its original size. Therefore, we
have a need to scan or photograph small objects at a very high
resolution. This has been a helpful research tool in that philatelists
(stamp collectors) are able to closely examine objects online and
accurately identify them when we can't.

We archive our master images (highest resolution scans, saved as tiff
files) either on CDs or on terabyte external drives. If a publisher
requires a hi-res tiff image, we copy them images from these master
files.

Best Wishes & Good Luck with the project,
Kate

Kate Diggle

Collections Database Administrator

National Postal Museum