Hi Chad,

At the MFA in Boston we make regular object records for frames, shipping crates, and other object accessories such as mounts, mannequins, pedestals, and so on. We assign the object status: “MFA owned” to these non-accessioned objects.

We link these records to the objects they are associated with. Some paintings have links to more than one frame (original frame, shipping frame, and so on). Some frames are linked to more than one painting. This system has made life a lot easier for our framer.

Object records give us a place to document the conservation of frames, and other accessories, and the many fields are useful for describing the accessories, their makers, dimensions, their age, etc., that would not be possible if we used the component area of TMS.

Some details:

Best wishes,

Linda Pulliam

Head of Collections Management