Dear Beth,

This might be a little more theoretical than you were looking for, but
check out http://variablemedia.net/, which calls for moving away from
cataloguing these types of works by their physical form, since the
physical forms are often transient.  Think in terms of a work on VHS -
is it critical that the work remain VHS, or can we migrate it to DVD?
If we define the artwork as VHS, then changing that material means
changing the artwork.  But if we catalogue it as "video work," or
"moving image," or even "light and sound;" something less
media-dependant, then we don't have a cataloguing dilemma when the work
is migrated to a newer media.

The role of the artist is critical here as well.  How does the artist
define their work?  Think of an artist like Nam June Paik.  You would
never swap an outdated VHS machine from one of his sculptures for a
newer DVD player.  In that case, the work IS medium-dependant.  However,
when working for the Carnegie Museum of Art, we approached Dara Birnbaum
about swapping some heavy tube monitors for modern flat panels, and she
was open to that because the physical entity of the monitor was not
important; it was the images displayed on them that she considered to be
the artwork.  Another artist we worked with used a slide projector and
35mm slides in his work; when we asked if the slides could be digitized
and projected that way, he said no; the vintage sound and feel of the
projector was an essential part of the artwork.

I hope the Variable Media website is helpful; I have more published
resources at home and I will be happy to pass them along to you if
you're interested.

Good luck!!

Amber Morgan

the warhol:
Amber E. Morgan
Assistant Registrar
117 Sandusky Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
T 412.237.8306
F 412.237.8340
E [log in to unmask]
W www.warhol.org <http://www.warhol.org/>

The Andy Warhol Museum
One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh

Email newsletter http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/email
Membership http://members.carnegiemuseums.org/SupportCMP