-----Original Message-----
From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Maja Clark
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 2:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: To learn or not to learn Crystal Reports

After silently following this Listserv the past several months, I'm
finally braving to poll the group to help me figure out whether it would
be more practical for me to learn Crystal Reports or to outsource. I am
particularly interested in replies from folks who work at smaller
institutions (vs. institutions large enough to have staff members whose
job descriptions may be primarily focused on TMS). I have been advised
in the past that the Crystal Reports program is too complex to bother
learning given my other job responsibilities.

Did you learn Crystal Reports? Was it difficult to master in the limited
proportion of time that you can actually allocate among your other job
duties to hone your report building skills?  I am particularly
interested in hearing from folks who do not have a computer science
background, since I have no doubt that Crystal Reports is a piece of
cake for techies. I want to know if Crystal Reports can be mastered by
mere mortals!

Maja Clark

Collections Technician, Shangri La

Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art