The National Portrait Gallery hasn’t standardized the Bibliography reference number field, since 1,063 of our 1,073 bibliographic records came from legacy data and are still skeletal. Very few of our records even have reference numbers entered. Since the Bibliography reference number field is called “CallNumber” in the SQL table, we add our library call number (based on the LOC number) whenever possible. We will probably go with the LOC number if we ever start using the Bibiography module seriously. (We will do this sooner if the module becomes truly relational, i.e. if we can access it from within the Objects or Constituents Module even when no prior links exist.)

Object Level is blank (or “not defined”) for most of our objects. We use the field only to single out objects that are part of a group or that are groups themselves. Only two choices are available in our dropdown: “Part of group” and “Group of objects”. If “Group of Objects” is entered, then the Object Count is something greater than 1.

As for Object Type, we have made the field disappear via securities but might consider using it in the future for distinguishing between portraits and non-portraits in our collection or something like that.

From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeri Moxley
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 8:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bibliography module and object type/level

Hi Kelly,

I don't know why, really, but we enter the ISBN as the Bibliography reference number. It's just always been done that way here (since before my Gugg time).

We use Object Type in concert with Classification - our usage actually being somewhat the opposite of CDWA in that for us Object Type is slightly more generic than Classification (this also has been this way since my Gugg time). An example would be: object type 'work on paper' = classification 'print'. That said, however, we have been discussing these fields off and on in Curatorial, Registrar, and Conservation meetings for the past couple of years and hope to eventually revise both object type and classification lists to better defined / standardized terms - with my personal dream of throwing thesaurus usage into the mix.

We've renamed Object Level to 'Special Collection' and have populated this drop-down list with major acquisitions (e.g., Founding Collection, Thannhauser Collection). This provides a quick search for these collections which in some cases require additional approvals for loan or exhibition.

Until you decide how they might be useful for your collections, you could close the fields off in security.

Regards,

Jeri

Jeri L. Moxley-Rojas
Manager of Collection and Exhibition Information
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
o: (212) 423-3509
c: (646) 912-3365