From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kelly Rushing
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 10:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Bibliography module and object type/level

We have just started using the bibliography module in TMS and are wondering what to use as the reference number for each record.  Our first instinct was to use the catalog number that our library assigns to the book.  However, many times when I enter the record, the book won’t have been catalogued yet, so if we want to use their number, I would have to leave it blank and go back later.  The library uses the Dewey Decimal system, so I can’t find the number inside the book, as you often can with the Library of Congress number.  I’m wondering what other museums are using for this field: the library’s number, a sequential numbering system, or something else entirely?

I would also like to know how others are handling the object type and object level fields.  We aren’t currently using them, but it bugs me that I have to choose “not defined” if I click on those fields when I’m entering a new object.  Has anyone else found them to be useful, and if so, what options have you entered?  It is possible to rename them and use them for something else?

Thanks for your help!

Kelly Rushing

Registrar

Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art

500 W. Washington St.

Indianapolis, IN  46204

Phone: 317-275-1359

Fax: 317-275-1459