Component vs. Group Object

We do not use components because historically our old database didn’t support this level of organization. Historically, registrars have given different components an Alphabetic identifier (49.15A, 49.15B). In more recent history we’ve favored Numeric identifiers (51.145.1, 51.145.2).

We have found this approach to be most beneficial, because often times components have been associated with one another in history, but have very different attributes. For instance, 51.1204 is a Japanese dagger created in 1854. The tanto blade (51.1204.1) dates to the 16th century. The benefit to having separate (related) records is that you have full control over all the attributes of the object record. You can include individual components into a loan, have separate conservation activities associated with a specific component, or my personal favorite: you can place them in separate departments (we have a separate department just for tracking frames).

The down side is that people can often forget to move all of the components (The blade for 51.1214 was considered missing by the database until this year, proof that if you can’t see it through the scabbard or saya, it must not be there). We have helped to alleviate that by having a location “See Parent Record”, which is used for components, except when they are separated for storage or display purposes.

Chad M Petrovay

Collections Database Administrator

The Walters Art Museum

600 North Charles Street

Baltimore, MD  21210

P: 410.547.9000 x266

F: 410.837.4846

www.thewalters.org

Exhibitions:

Maps: Finding our Place in the World on view March 16–June 8, 2008

Maps on Purpose on view March 1–June 8, 2008

Beyond the Compass, Beyond the Square on view March 16–May 20, 2008

Mapping the Cosmos: Images from the Hubble Space Telescope on view now through July 27, 2008