From: The Museum System (TMS) Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Burke, Ashley
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 3:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: first-time inventory

Maja-

Our museum has to perform an inventory every year and we have gone
through a few different procedures until we found one that fit us the
best.  Currently, the way we track inventory is by location purpose.  In
location purpose, we have options for 2008 Inventory, 2007 Inventory,
etc. We inventory by location; first we would print out a list by
location and verify that the objects are still there and then go back to
TMS and move the objects by 'returning to home location' and using the
purpose '2008 Inventory'.  One thing you have to be careful of is
objects that aren't in their home locations, for these you will have to
move the objects individually (temp move purposes 2008 Inventory and
same temp location entered).  By inventorying by location, you can move/
mark records faster that have been inventoried and now you have a
previous location record for past inventories (great for auditing and
solving mysteries).  As the inventory goes along, you can always perform
an advanced search looking for objects that have not been moved for
purposes of 2008 Inventory to determine what still needs to be found.
We also do create paper records for problems- objects missing, found,
moved, etc. and we solve these problems at the end.  This the gist of
our inventory process, feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Ashley

Ashley Burke

Assistant Registrar

The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art

5401 Bay Shore Rd.

Sarasota, FL 34243

941-359-5700 ext. 1504

This e-mail is subject to the Sunshine Act and its contents may be
subject to public disclosure.