Greetings Chad & all,

In our system, the Title field was renamed/reconfigured to hold philatelic catalog info. Therefore, the Object Name field is the only place for object titles, etc. Furthermore, this field pulls over to our online catalog, Arago www.arago.si.edu and so has to be somewhat consistent yet descriptive enough for the public.

In general, we use Subject + object type. We use initial caps for the entire subject name, followed by lowercase object type.

Ex: Rural Free Delivery wagon model

Ex: Railway Post Office mail sack label

Ex: World War II Patriotic post card

For stamps, we include the denomination and format. value + Subject + format

Ex: 1c Franklin die proof

Ex: 6c James Garfield block of eight

One thing that is regrettable about how our object names function for stamps is that no one thought to put the actual word postage stamp in the Object Name when describing stamps. When our data went live to the web, the public was unable to search for the words ‘postage stamp’ and get hits of all our stamps. We’ve devised some work arounds but I would urge you to think ahead of the data—how will it be used in the future?

Kate Diggle

Database Administrator

National Postal Museum