Message

Hi Melisa,

We went around and around about this, but finally decided to number the virtual object with the number of the entire portfolio.  For a portfolio of ten prints, each print would be numbered 2008.108.1, 2008.108.2, etc.  The virtual object for the entire portfolio is 2008.108.1-.10.

We’ve even gone a bit further and made virtual object records for the physical components of a portfolio that are not considered to be art.  So, the portfolio case would be numbered 2008.108.1-.10.A.  The title page would be 2008.108.1-.10.B, etc.  These virtual records would also be linked up to the virtual object record for the whole portfolio.

The important thing for us was to be able to have separate records for each of the pieces, but if we wanted to be able to easily isolate the ten “art” pieces in a portfolio of ten prints.

We’ve also gone the other way, and have a big collection of photographs by Nan Goldin that collectively need to be considered as ONE work of art.  But we have conservation notes, titles, and separate dimensions for each photograph.  Rather than make 129 components, we made 129 virtual records, each of which are linked to the main non-virtual object record.

I hope that makes sense… it screws with my mind on a Friday afternoon, and I’m responsible for it!

David

David Aylsworth

Collections Registar

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston