Hi Cathryn,

We’ve been using Components to track frames, but haven’t been terribly happy with the results.  A big part of it hinges on my not being a terribly sophisticated report writer, but I haven’t yet been able to write a report that will ONLY report a current location for the primary component (artwork in the frame) rather than both the artwork AND the frame.

Searching by location gets complicated as well if an old frame for an object is located in one place, while the piece-in-a-new-frame is in another.  Invariably people get confused when they do a search for things that are in storage and get returns with data on things that are in the galleries just because a component of a gallery piece is in storage.

I think we are going to go to a system where a frame has its own record, but linked as a related object.  The problem with this, of course, is that when making location changes, the related object will get overlooked.  We use this sort of system now for crates for objects.  I saw a demonstration at the MFABoston where they have frames as related objects, but have programmed into the location change card a bold warning that there is a related object that may or may not need to be moved at the same time.  Since we don’t have an on-site programmer, we couldn’t do that yet..

Did that make sense?  It’s been one of the many issues that’s been confusing me for several years.

David

David Aylsworth

Collections Registar

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston